Unlocking a 2004 Honda Civic Radio and Setting the Clock
A week or so ago, my wife’s car broke down. The pully on the A/C compressor pulley wobbled and seized, so not only did her 2004 Honda Civic have no A/C, it smoked under the hood from the belt rubbing against the belt. So I had some work to do, and in the course of the repair I had to disconnect the negative battery cable because of reasons (and if you must know, it’s because I had to move the alternator out of the way, and in doing so I started sparking things. Safety second, I guess).
The thing is with Honda, or at least this generation of Honda Civics is that if you disconnect the battery, you end up locking the radio. Some sort of antitheft property that ends up only annoying people who work on them and disconnect the battery.
You might also like: 2004 Honda Civic Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Fortunately, Honda maintains an online database of the unlock code - you just need the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) and radio serial number. This online database is at https://radio-navicode.honda.com/.
While I didn’t record fixing the A/C - I needed to fix it as soon as possible - I did video myself unlocking the radio and setting the clock. Remember, my wife’s car is a 2004 Honda Civic. However, the below videos should be applicable to the following years:
- 2001 Honda Civic
- 2002 Honda Civic
- 2003 Honda Civic
- 2004 Honda Civic
- 2005 Honda Civic
In fact, it’s probably applicable to Civics outside this year range, as well as other Honda models (e.g. Honda Accord, Honda CR-V, Honda Fit, Honda Odyssey, Honda Passport, Honda Pilot, etc.)
How to Unlock the Radio on a 2004 Honda Civic
- Make sure the radio is off.
- Press and hold the “1” and “6” preset buttons.
- Turn the radio on while continuing to hold those two buttons.
- Record the serial number.
- Turn off the radio and car while you go online to https://radio-navicode.honda.com/ and get the code.
- Turn on the radio.
- Enter the code.
How to Set the Clock on a 2004 Honda Civic
- Make sure the radio is off, but powered (i.e. the car ignition is not completely off, perhaps in accessory mode).
- Press and hold the SCAN/RPT button.
- Press the “4” preset button to advance the hour.
- Press the “5” preset button to advance the minute.
- Press the SCAN/RPT button.
- Congratulation, you have set the clock!